Home General ha ha ha

ha ha ha

by jasal

tfw your loved one tells you you can magically stop being suicidal by going to church and reading the bible.

what an overused punchline.

Ylem31 12/14/2015 - 2:05 pm

Church doesn’t do anything for me. The Bible is like a very boring and confusing story book. Don’t believe in God.
Hate it when I’m told to pray when I feel down. Pray to who?

mysteriousvisitor 12/14/2015 - 2:28 pm

In no way do I mean this as an insult to Christians (my grandmother was the most wonderful person I have ever known and she was a Christian – I would never insult her). However I have noticed that Western Christianity presents the Bible as a quick fix and God as some being whose job it is to fix everything that is wrong. The Bible does NOT say these things, and it does a disservice to those who are suffering to place the blame on the victim by implying they simply need to follow the right religion and all will be well.

whiskered-fish 12/14/2015 - 3:56 pm

Couldn’t’ve said it better myself.

Salesman 12/14/2015 - 2:58 pm

Going to church has always made me pretty fucking suicidal.

jasal 12/14/2015 - 3:04 pm

Me too. The church can be terribly oppressive and exclusionary. The environment worsens my mental health, if anything.

whiskered-fish 12/14/2015 - 3:46 pm

I think that’s a common reaction that people like us face.

I actually remember saying something like that to someone years ago. When my depression started to bud, I believed that it was a punishment for dismissing her like that. As a result, I have compassion for the misguided people who give this advice as well as the suffering people who receive it.

For some people, faith actually does help heal depression. For others, though, it can make their depression worse.

On the behalf of my brothers and sisters, I apologize. We aren’t all bad. I hope you can find better support.

SoVeryTired 12/14/2015 - 6:02 pm

I have a very strong faith, I go to church regularly, and yes my faith has helped me. But has it cured my depression – no f..g no! Does faith prevent people dying from cancer? Not commonly 😉 though maybe there’s the odd miracle.
It helps me to pray, but just like cancer this illness might still kill me eventually.

I would never push faith down anybody’s throat as a depression cure/quick fix, although privately I might pray for them.

Shephard 12/14/2015 - 6:12 pm

In nomine Doritos Dominus, et Filét, et S’ghetti n’ Sandwich. Amen.

Gary 12/14/2015 - 7:12 pm

It just fails some of us to believe in God. W god allows all this shit. Some gokd(s).hy would any God allow war. We’re all just shit on a stick. Some gods……