Home Coping Skills Where is your safe haven?

Where is your safe haven?

by nextime1988

We all have a safe haven  a place where we can be away and safe from all the agressions world throws at us.

Mine is my living room couch even in  good days if  go to bed whthout spending half an hour there ill have a hard time trying to sleep its the, for me only way to calm down at the end of the day laying there in the dark watching tv or listening classical music.

Where’s yours???

usedcanvas 12/2/2015 - 3:22 pm

I have routine I have to do to feel okay before I go to bed.
First I sit in my rocking chair in my room with a blanket on, no matter how hot it is. Then I turn on my “Christmas” lights in my room and I only have those on while I watch what ever tv series I’m watching. Then I can finally go to bed and feel okay.

Hazy Day Sunflower 12/2/2015 - 3:56 pm

The shower. I have no idea why.

charlottevics 12/2/2015 - 4:20 pm

My dreams.

no more of this please 12/2/2015 - 4:26 pm

Death

Mf 12/2/2015 - 4:57 pm

In my headphones.

Hazy Day Sunflower 12/2/2015 - 5:05 pm

I need noise cancellation ones. Any suggestions?

Mf 12/2/2015 - 5:13 pm

Depends, how loud is the noise you need to cancel out? (kinda scared to ask, lol). If it’s a real loud noise you might want active ones (which kill ambient noise by reversing the signal they grab out of a built-in mic), if it’s just ambient voice, you can get by with some good in-ears and noise cancelling tips. Also depends on how much you want to spend. I think i wasted something like 1-1.5 months out of my time researching each pair of headphones/earphones i own… thank you OCD, lol.

Hazy Day Sunflower 12/2/2015 - 5:22 pm

Since they haven’t invented one to cancel the noise in my head I would settle on ambiance noise like the tv or someone sobbing uncontrollably at the kitchen table.

Mf 12/2/2015 - 5:42 pm

In ears or closed headphones would do the trick then (no active noise cancelling needed). I own panasonic/sony/ortofon/pioneer. Unless you get some of the 5 bucks colored in ears you can’t go wrong with those brands, and it’s only a matter of preference if you get in ears or headphones.

Not everyone is comfortable expending this much on earphones/headphones, but these are my “go-to” ones, since they sound good with almost any genre you throw at them, from the few i’ve heard from panasonic’s headphones most above 30-40ish usd are decent: amazon.com/Panasonic-stereo-earphones-white-RP-HJE900-W/dp/B001NEIRV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449095773&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+hje900

As for big ass headphones, i just use them for recording, but i’ve heard good things of the sennheiser momentum line. Their in ears headphones are good too, heard a cx 400 a while back and they weren’t bad at all.

Hazy Day Sunflower 12/2/2015 - 9:10 pm

@Mf, thanks. I just need to drown out the POS sitting next to me is all. Those should work fine.

LegitRiot35 12/2/2015 - 8:02 pm

I don’t have a specific place I go when shit hits the fan, but I find listening to music and just forgetting everything to be quite therapeutic. Hanging out with the few good friends that I have also seems to offer the same effect as my music.

Take a Deep Breath 12/2/2015 - 11:36 pm

On the back of my horse- or in the shower

outinthedark 12/3/2015 - 1:04 am

Usually the bathtub. But there is one other place I feel completely at ease and at home and that’s the band room at my old high school. It was the one place I could escape while I was at school and just try to get everything out of my head and just focus on practicing my instrument. And the only other people in there would only just try to help me improve on my instrument and it was just nice.

avidsmoker 12/3/2015 - 1:12 am

Good question, mine is either looming over my stove while I prepare works and vinegar solutions, or just sitting in front of my computer gazing into a wall of text while sulking.

Also, I find you can find shelter in routine, for instance prisoners don’t really have that safe haven, but they find solace in routine behaviors. A routine of mine is tied heavily into the first thing i mentioned, honestly it’s more of a ritual.