Home General Facades

3. Agreeing with others politely
  4. Disagreeing with others politely
  5. Eating
  6. Talking
  7. Apologizing
  8. Being “positive”
  9. A bunch of other things.

I wonder why I’m still around? I don’t need to be in this kind of environment, I really don’t. I have skills, I have a resume, I can leave.

Yet I’m around. Tied down to all the things I don’t care about, just to be around one thing I care about. Or one person. And one animal I guess.

My manager told me I need to “tone down the snark” today. What kind of responses do these people expect from me? If I don’t agree with something, I point out the reasons. If I don’t care about something, I don’t care about it.

I’m not your friend. I’m not your teaaammate, I’m not your husband or your family. I’m an employee which means I do what I signed up to do. I didn’t sign up to be nice. I signed up to do what I can to help create a product. And yes, that requires collaboration. It doesn’t require ‘niceness’.

I don’t know why I care. Right now everything is going poorly, and I have nothing to lose. So why do I care?

rivets 10/11/2017 - 4:04 pm

That’s why I will never work in an office. I refuse to clap like a seal while dressed like a penguin.

Mordred 10/11/2017 - 4:43 pm

Yep, more or less how it is right now. No one here has any character.

Cause of Death: Suicide 10/12/2017 - 5:05 am

Lmao leave please leave before it gets worse if it can get worse it will always get worse it is like newtons law or something take your little animal with you. Unless you enjoy making that product which product do you make?

Mordred 10/12/2017 - 9:01 am

I like that law — if it can get worse, it will get worse.

Black Holez 10/12/2017 - 5:58 am

You’re making this way more complicated than it should be. It’s a job, not a daycare center where you need to make others happy (unless that’s what your job entails) and being careful not to step on eggshells. You’re not there to make friends and you’re not there to act like a feminized little doormat who has to to kowtow to every whim. If you’re not happy with your job then LEAVE and find something else. You’ll be saving yourself a lot of troubles, headaches and heartaches.

Mordred 10/12/2017 - 9:01 am

Ugh, absolutely true. That’s what I keep telling myself too, but there’s this disconnect between what I’m doing and what I’m telling myself.

un 10/12/2017 - 10:34 am

Your list sounds like most social interactions with strangers..

In this context, you are teammate, in a sense. And I think most collaborations are more successful with niceness. Not to the point of excess or being a doormat, but again that diplomacy. People are more likely to respect your opinion if they don’t think you’re insulting them. And if you call something they come up with useless they can take that personally. Which is why they prefer euphemisms like impractical. Because people are weird and don’t always make sense.

Bleghh