Home General Jack Kevorkian Was A Hero

Jack Kevorkian Was A Hero

by Wraith

When I was young and learned about Jack Kevorkian (a.k.a. “Dr. Death”) performing voluntary euthanasia on 130 patients in the 1990s, I regarded him as a murderer and a monster. Now I regard him as a hero.

All of Kevorkian’s patients were suffering immensely. Some physically. Others psychologically. In either case, they were deeply wounded and wanted nothing more than a peaceful ending to their agonizing existence.

Why shouldn’t they be afforded this freedom? Who are we, as a society, to block terminally ill people from receiving physician-assisted suicide if they so choose? Furthermore, who are we to decide who’s deserving and undeserving of this service? It should be up to the individual to decide whether life is worth living, and if not, a wide variety of options should be available including firearms and euthanasia. Anything less is inhumane and an affront to personal freedom.

Once 11/5/2019 - 11:46 pm

I agree with this. Our society is absolutely terrified of and by death and dying, and believes it should be shunned and not spoken of in polite company. We speak of it in hushed tones with heads bowed, embarrassed and awkward. Yet it is the biggest money maker in the entertainment industry. We don our pious hats of proper condescension in between sitting down to watch murder, death and dying in all its glory on our television screens in an attempt to satisfy our endless bloodlust. But we’re decent savages, and must deny anyone who wishes the right to end their own suffering that luxury in the name of moral superiority.

Jack Kevorkian was an angel of mercy working among unenlightened cowards afraid to think outside of popular comvention, and he was vilified and branded a murdering, sick, twisted, demented demon. It’s a shame, but that’s humanity for you. Anything different is automatically bad, even when it alleviates suffering. Apparently only a coward chooses to end their own life. Because the “moral” (moronic) majority believe god insists we live and die a natural death, then to do anything that goes against their outdated and totally asinine belief is simply out of the question. Bunch of idiots.

Jack Kevorkian was decades ahead of his “peers.”

deathisnear 11/6/2019 - 5:39 am

You’re absolutely right. In our diabolical society, having someone experience a long, drawn-out, agonizing death is preferable to allowing them die with dignity. Why is this the case? For one, end-of-life care is a multibillion dollar industry in the United States alone; giving dying patients the humane option that Dr. Kevorkian once provided would greatly cut into those profits. Then there’s organized religion, which clearly lost the Culture Wars since the 1960s, but somehow retains influence over critical issues such as these. That’s how we’ve reached the point where the concept of “my body, my choice” doesn’t extend to the people who need it most.

It'll Be Ok 11/6/2019 - 1:39 am

first of all im going to state that as far as i remember ive never heard of this guy before so anything i say is based on the information in this post therefore if im wrong it isnt my fault.
now you said that people referred to him as a murderer and a monster. voluntary or not, legally by law he is a murderer. i know that here in canada if you so much as know someone is committing suicide you will be held accountable for not calling someone so the fact that he not only knew. not only helped by getting them supplies/money for it, but he actually did it himself so yes legally murderer.
monster. that one depends. then again not really. one would assume he does it out of compassion for the people suffering. understanding what it is like to be at the end of your rope. for this a monster he is not, however what state of mind did he have to me in to actually go through with it. in any “normal” person it would cause so much mental damage i dont even know where to start. i mean that doesnt mean he is a monster but it does make me question his sanity level.
and no i dont disagree with what he did im just saying whether it is right or not doesnt change the legal meaning of things

deathisnear 11/6/2019 - 6:07 am

Your argument is a classic “Appeal to the law” fallacy.

I will point out that assisted suicide wasn’t illegal when Kevorkian first performed them and that he was acquitted multiple times before a jury found him guilty. Also, he allowed the patients to activate the “Thanatron” machine that would release the lethal drugs into their systems. The legal status of euthanasia doesn’t change anything for me — one way or another. My argument is purely an ethical one, despite briefly mentioning that I previously considered him a murderer when I was young, naive, and religiously indoctrinated.

While you question the sanity level of someone who allows patients to end their suffering, I question the sanity of our healthcare system that treats its patients far less compassionately. I recently went to the hospital due to a kidney stone that I later passed. I was in such horrible, unspeakable pain in the emergency room while the nurses did NOTHING to provide any sort of relief. I was practically rolling on the ground in the most excruciating condition imaginable while they just sat there ignoring me. They showed absolutely no compassion (they actually treated me with disrespect while I was experiencing the worst pain of my life) and they couldn’t even provide the most basic pain relief for me. Reading the Yelp reviews of the hospital that I visited that night, I quickly discovered that I wasn’t the only one who encountered such uncaring “treatment.” Only in a sadistic and morally broken culture like ours could they be considered any more compassionate and humane than Dr. Kevorkian who actually provided relief to his patients.

Once 11/6/2019 - 10:44 am

Kidney stones. Ou-motherfu**ing-ch. Been there, nothing worse. Like sitting around while a razor blade slowly moves through your plumbing. Yeah. Misery.

Well, as far as too much legislation in our society, we’ve legislated divinity through the creation of and enforcement of religions, believing we can impose our laws and rules on a supreme divine being, so it’s no surprise to me that in our extreme arrogance we feel the need to legislate suffering, mandating that everyone keep a stiff upper lip and paste smiles on their face as they suffer agonizing pain in the throes of chronic disease. To these legislators and proponents of such lunacy, I hold up two middle fingers. Sure, there’s a lot to be said about preserving life, as well as enduring some suffering. I don’t deny that. But when it comes to making choices about my body and my life and my pain, please, walk off the edge of the world and float off into space. It’s noones business but ones own. (In my humble opinion, which, in this matter, was largely formed while watching a parent suffer for years as a stroke robbed her of her independence and will to live. I wanted to see her die so she could find peace, but noooo….she wasn’t afforded the option.)

Dr. Kevorkian, as you already noted, provided the means. The patient them self activated the device and could, at any point, stop the process. He knew what the ramifications of his actions would be and he knew what the publics response to his actions would be, but he persevered. And he was punished, by a narrow minded and ridiculous legal system whose laws are formed on the belief that life must be maintained and lived, because it is sacred and given to us by “god”, whom we must not offend, lest we be smote with boils and lightning and other such nastiness.

Lol. What nonsense. We’re a race of hypocrisy and double standards – forcing those who are suffering to “choose life” while also waging war and murdering in the name of “god”, politics, and skin color. From that perspective, we need a serious extinction level cosmic enema.

If a person has had enough of the pain and suffering of a terminal disease, they deserve the choice to end it, on their terms. To assume otherwise is just a fine example of the arrogance of the frail human ego. Dr. Kevorkian was a pioneer who helped lead the way into a movement of sensible mercy that is slowly, very slowly, making progress and gathering steam.

I’ll jump down off my soap box now. I have to get back to work, I suppose.

Great topic!

ElElyon 11/6/2019 - 9:29 am

Eh, legally you can get your children viciously mutilated and refuse to pay for painkillers or anesthesia and be regarded as a non-monster, a non-mutilator, and a non-murderer in the very same country this *hero* operated in. Given that torturing children is kosher, but ending their suffering isn’t, under American law, how can you possibly logically appeal to the law? You can’t, can you?

If this man operated today, he would get the same, or worse, treatment from the law, and moreover would have been given many more condemnations for not instead referring chronic pain victims to methadone clinics and the depressed to a thorazine drip; but who would pay for those? The depressed, likely homeless, and poor certainly couldn’t, which is why this guy helped them out of this hell in the first place. This dude was ONLY let out of incarceration after he was forced to sign an agreement to permanently disband his medical work, he was DYING, and his only ‘crime’ was helping ending others’ suffering, which barely makes sense to call accessory to second-degree murder of the self, yet he was charged directly with second-degree murder – the crime of killing out of passion. If I shot you because I disliked you, that’s same crime.
This is how fair his court case was, “He was not able to call any witnesses to the stand as the judge did not deem the testimony of any of his witnesses relevant.”
They might as well have found him guilty before he showed up, given that they didn’t allow him to defend himself and didn’t allow anyone else to defend him. WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT? I, for one, refuse to call it ‘justice.’
“You invited yourself to the wrong forum.” ~ Judge Jessica Cooper, may Hell exist just so I’ll see her there. You can tell me whatever in response to this, but I find it infinitely unsurprising that a woman was behind ending this man’s whole career unjustly.

Once 11/6/2019 - 10:54 am

“They might as well have found him guilty before he showed up, given that they didn’t allow him to defend himself and didn’t allow anyone else to defend him.”

Yes. They did find him guilty before any legal action was taken. In their (our) hypocrisy, they (we) had no choice. We’re not quite evolved enough to see what he was doing. We need to bury our smug heads in our soft warm comfortable blankets of condescension and popular opinion and say “Tsk Tsk tsk” to someone we can easily vilify. Such shame, that we would allow the mitigation of suffering. Shame on us.

Yeah, he was robbed of the ability to adequately defend himself, and no doubt he knew this would happen.

I’m no intellectual, or history buff for that matter, but would venture a guess to say that throughout the course of human history, the real revolutionaries, the ones whose early actions implemented the beginnings of change, were also held in sumilar contempt and persecuted in the same manner.

Once 11/6/2019 - 11:22 am

I meant to say that he was found guilty in the court of public opinion long before any legal action was taken. His trial, any attempt at a defense, these were mere formalities afforded him by the legal system. He was automatically guilty of murder in the minds of the public long before any gavel was pounded.

ElElyon 11/6/2019 - 11:54 am

The public opinion is meaningless to me, however. Someone who currently lives as a successful county prosecutor – revered as the first woman to ‘achieve’ that title – singularly made the legal decision, as a judge trusted with the unspeakable responsibility of a Duke, to revoke someone’s right to self-defense and to be defended on a literal level. She went so far as to quite literally speak that quote I quoted, informing him that he picked the WRONG courtroom, the wrong forum, to be tried in. I mean, what more can I tell you about this woman?
Do not put blame from her evil onto me. Onto her peers, by all means, and onto her to an absolute degree, and even onto society as a whole, but I was busy recovering from a broken neck, and very young, when he was tried. He *is not* and *was not* guilty of murder of any kind – yet the person who unjustly made him such is celebrated while he is reviled, but what galls me is that even to the public the most important facet about her is that she has a vagina. That she’s the ‘first woman to X.’ That’s *all* she is.

LoveDogs 11/6/2019 - 12:38 pm

I always thought he was a great man. I hated the way he was persecuted.

Once 11/6/2019 - 7:43 pm

He was a pioneer and also brave enough to endure what he knew would be the ridicule and scorn of millions who just…dont…get it.

rivets 11/7/2019 - 5:19 pm

This thing we call society is a mentally ill construct designed to control individuals, regardless of what the conservative voices might say about it. Individual responsibility and freedom are guises for a set of shackles and some chain. That’s just the general condition of things.

a1957 11/7/2019 - 9:14 pm

I think of him as hero. He was convicted of Second Degree Murder in 1999 in Michigan for helping one man to die who wanted to die. Now, twenty years later, Michigan’s law makers still have not approved their own Death with Dignity Act HB4461. Seems rather barbaric to me.

Cause of Death: Suicide 11/18/2019 - 3:10 am

If I was the judge which obviously I am not, I would say he is a hero for those who were in agony that chose to die with his assistance. But because, only the gods are the judges, because they are immortal and the humans are the little people who are mortal and have no real voice of whom cannot condemn or judge except in ahem *little people land* within their tiny circles within their tiny lives upon their tiny trivialities and tiny concerns. I have been trying to commit suicide for 15 years. Anyone who would offer the assistance that he had shown would be a hero to me. But it is too late for me to find a hero, I am trapped as a prisoner in nazi Germany currently