Home General Germany’s federal court supports individual’s right to suicide

Germany’s federal court supports individual’s right to suicide

by Wraith

Criminalisation of assisted suicide services unconstitutional

The general right of personality (Art. 2(1) in conjunction with Art. 1(1) of the Basic Law, Grundgesetz – GG) encompasses a right to a self-determined death. This right includes the freedom to take one’s own life and, as the case may be, resort to assistance provided voluntarily by third parties for this purpose. Where, in the exercise of this right, an individual decides to end their own life, having reached this decision based on how they personally define quality of life and a meaningful existence, their decision must, in principle, be respected by state and society as an act of autonomous self-determination.

If only the self-proclaimed “freest country on earth” would follow suit!

a1957 2/29/2020 - 11:22 pm

This is quite amazing. Thank you for sharing.

theagonyandtheecstasy_ 2/29/2020 - 11:42 pm

Wouldn’t it creep you out knowing a third party was willing to help? It’s one thing to suffer alone and find freedom on your own….Years ago, I had a friend that offered to assist my suicide for money… Just a couple thousand. I thought I knew him well, and he claimed to believe in “the right to die.” He roomed with me back then… And also had depression, but acted weird in later weeks and started poking holes in my bathroom door and catfishing my dates and telling them I didn’t want to see them anymore….I dropped him off at his mom’s and he was infuriated by it. He sent msges via catfishing, to a few different ppl, actually. and I ended up getting fired… Idk. It feels perverted that money would be pushed around for this. Peace is a wonderful thing, but with this it’s wrapped in money and people who don’t really know you, that is, if we’re talking doctors and psychiatrists

deathisnear 3/1/2020 - 6:18 am

Do you know what *does* creep me out? Euthanasia services not being legal or available, thus forcing suicidal people to choose between more risky/painful/messy options like jumping from a tall building and landing head-first onto the concrete below; shooting one’s head off and potentially being rendered a vegetable if not done right; unsuccessfully hanging one’s self and having permanent brain damage as a result; overdosing enough to have irreversible vital organ damage but not enough to die, as is the case in over half of all OD attempts; et cetera.

Legal euthanasia services provide a peaceful, painless, and certain exit for those who, for whatever reason, do not wish to endure any longer. I applaud countries like Switzerland and now Germany that have recognized this fundamental human right.

theagonyandtheecstasy_ 2/29/2020 - 11:45 pm

Like Switzerland

a1957 3/1/2020 - 4:35 pm

Wyoming, USA, neither condones nor condemns physician assisted suicides, per several sites I looked at last night. The reason given for why is quite unexpected. Wyoming does not honor Common Law and somehow that makes a difference on this subject.

deathisnear 3/1/2020 - 5:57 pm

North Carolina and Utah are similar from what I’ve read.

Washington and Oregon permit physician-assisted suicides, but only for terminally ill patients who have less than six months to live.

What makes Germany’s court ruling so significant is that there are no such eligibility restrictions. From the link above:

“Self-determined death is not limited to situations defined by external causes like serious or incurable illnesses, nor does it only apply in certain stages of life or illness. Rather, this right is guaranteed in all stages of a person’s existence. Restricting the scope of protection to specific causes or motives would essentially amount to a substantive evaluation, and thereby predetermination, of the motives of the person seeking to end their own life, which is alien to the Basic Law’s notion of freedom.”

The only restriction that I would consider implementing is age-based, to prevent minors from seeking out these services.

theagonyandtheecstasy_ 3/1/2020 - 9:41 pm

I can agree there. A lot of people get hurt attempting.
It’s just discomforting.
It would change the views of a court room when it comes to crime and accountability.
With this guaranteed right, society will start to assume that anyone who did end their life knew how to think for themselves and weigh out their options. (That they knew what they wanted.) And suicidal people may know what they want, but it makes them vulnerable to others that decide to take advantage of their illness. Like bullying. Or manipulation of a psychotic person/who may have benefitted from therapy/medication but never tried. Etc
Depression is a mental illness. It can make it harder for people to weigh out what they need to do to get well. Sometimes they cant but some make it out idk

deathisnear 3/2/2020 - 5:43 am

The terrifying possibility of a failed attempt has been the primary reason why I haven’t crossed the finish line yet. Having the option to pursue a peaceful and effective suicide is very comforting to me, so this news out of Germany fills me with great optimism.

“With this guaranteed right, society will start to assume that anyone who did end their life knew how to think for themselves and weigh out their options.”

I’m not quite as hopeful about some societies — particularly American society — becoming more accepting of suicide victims. European and East Asian cultures have more reasonable views than we do when it comes to suicide. Maybe this will change when the older and more religious-influenced generations start to die out.

theagonyandtheecstasy_ 3/1/2020 - 10:02 pm

And idk. My girlfriend strangled herself until she was turning blue after losing a family member. Time has been healing for her since, but it’s hard. I found my dad after he died, too. Idk it’s just hard

deathisnear 3/2/2020 - 5:45 am

That is horrible! Sorry to hear you had to live through those traumatizing events. Seeing my father lying dead would certainly be one of the things that would give me a final push over the edge, whether or not peaceful methods were available at the time.