Home General Blog

Blog

by postalservice

“I’ve been a deep believer my whole life.  Eighteen years as a Southern Baptist. More than forty years as a mainline Protestant.  I’m an ordained Pastor. But it’s just stopped making sense to me.  You see people doing terrible things in the name of religion, and you think: ‘Those people believe just as strongly as I do.  They’re just as convinced as I am.’ And it just doesn’t make sense anymore.  It doesn’t make sense to believe in a God that dabbles in people’s lives.  If a plane crashes and one person survives, everyone thanks God.  They say: ‘God had a purpose for that person.  God saved her for a reason!’ Do we not realize how cruel that is?  Do we not realize how cruel it is to say that if God had a purpose for that person,  he also had a purpose in killing everyone else on that plane?  And a purpose in starving millions of children?  A purpose in slavery and genocide?  For every time you say that there’s a purpose behind one person’s success, you invalidate billions of people.  You say that there’s a purpose to their suffering.  And that’s just cruel.”

Once 10/11/2020 - 1:48 am

Why can’t god be more like we expect it to be? How rude.

darkwillow 10/11/2020 - 1:56 am

To be fair, death isn’t the same in christianity. To die, is to enter the kingdom of god. Where there is no pain, no suffering ect.

While, to live is to suffer. It’s ironic that Christians dont celebrate and welcome death. For isnt entering gods arms the best thing you could want for someone? And for yourself even. You should want to die, in a way.

But we hate death because we’re selfish, and death means we wont he able to see that person anymore.

I used to be a Christian. But the more i studied buddhism, the more I drifted from it. Christianity gives you a list of things to believe in. While Buddhism, tells you to believe in nothing.

postalservice 10/11/2020 - 2:18 am

I believe the fate of one’s embodied emotions, visions , and love is temporary. Birth is beautiful, and death is permanent. God doesn’t exist.

I like the morals and lessons religion has to offer. I wouldn’t put anyone down for being different.
Not intentionally, anyway.

postalservice 10/11/2020 - 2:24 am

@darkwillow

You can’t just be all Heaven’s Gate and rejoice at violent tragedy… Murder… Torture… Car accidents…
And on.

If we see it from a Christian’s point of view, you’d have to committed to an existence that requires literacy when there isn’t a voice, and vice versa. You’re damned if you miss out on that. Take a mother, a child suffers… Suffering. God exists to cause suffering. That’s what I pull from this man’s thoughts.

I agree. It doesn’t make sense.

- 10/11/2020 - 3:23 am

What purpose would wildly random, wanton suffering serve to god? Reasonable argument.

But I believe in intelligent design. Not evidence of a moral entity with a conscience, perhaps, but..

On top of that, I don’t believe in death. This existence seems too… callow.

Rainwatch 10/11/2020 - 5:50 am

I don’t believe in God, but who really knows. What I do know is that having been brought up Catholic, the Catholic church is a cult and a very financially successful one to boot. Catholic priests have a free house, car, and house cleaner, you really couldn’t make it up. Thankfully attendance at Catholic masses are declining rapidly so the donations coming in are much smaller, something’s gotta give, they’re not gonna be getting a free ride much longer.

postalservice 10/11/2020 - 6:55 am

Anyone else feel resentment towards religion for stunting the prosperity in understanding mental health? At some point, bashing a hole in someone’s skull was a remedy for “hearing things” [trephination] and suffering from psychosis meant ‘magical demons’ needed to be released through exorcisms. There’s suffering there, too…

niki 10/11/2020 - 2:00 pm

This is a quote etched on the wall of a concentration camp as noted by Andrew Eames, the author of Blue River, Black Sea:

“If there is a God, He will have to beg for my forgiveness.”

“There is Auschwitz, and so there cannot be God”.

SweetQuietus 10/11/2020 - 5:46 pm

When you wrote, “A purpose in slavery and genocide?” It reminded me of Jeremiah’s prophecy of the Babylonian captivity as well as of the Exodus story.

Some Christians base their belief on a Jesus expunged of his Jewish context, focusing primarily upon a personal relationship and not a communal one.

Who knows what the truth is? We hope to make sense of people and events utilizing our limited experience and understanding, speaking from our beliefs, our hopes, and even from platitudes.

But I agree that we often speak out of ignorance and attribute the blessing or judgment of God or to karma or whatever.

As for suffering, much of it is inflicted by humanity. As for We like life to make sense. We like our lives to have meaning. Maybe some of us have a greater sense of empathy and fairness.

Just thoughts. You lead me on a journey of my own beliefs, faith, doubt, and loss.

postalservice 10/12/2020 - 1:10 am

A religion that requires atonement and judgement after death would most certainly come from a human who was capable of that himself.
Invention and projection… Life isn’t fair, just like a natural disaster or disease like cancer.

- 10/12/2020 - 2:23 am

Sin seems like a messed up construct to me. I’ve never subscribed to the idea, what I see is more like just mistakes, and people making them.

postalservice 10/12/2020 - 5:25 am

I like how the devil was a symbol for unrequited desire, impulses. It paved the eeriness felt in the idea of witchcraft. How immature, right? But I love meeting people that believe in ghosts and demons/books with spells. They’re more fun in general.