Home General My parents hit the dog(not depression related)

My parents hit the dog(not depression related)

by blue_dude15

Sorry, this probably isnt the right place to post this but I urgently need advice about how my parents treat the dog. So recently we got a puppy, and like all puppies he bites a lot. I just found out that my parents have decided that smacking him on the back with a thin stick as punishment would be a good idea. According to them they only hit him gently, but it makes him growl at the stick and Im worried it will make him more aggressive. I tried talking to my parents about it but they argue that if its “okay” to spank a child, it should be ok to use corporal punishment on a dog. But IS it ok to treat the dog like this?? And if not, what should i do? Again, I apologise that this isn`t depression-related

Once 2/21/2021 - 6:25 am

What your parents are doing generally does more harm than good. They may break puppy of its habit, but they are approaching it backwards. There’s a method of training animals called “positive reinforcement” that will bring better results and won’t traumatize puppy, which is exactly what they’re doing, unfortunately. Just google the term and read about it. You train puppy to perform a certain action and reward it immediately, and it begins to associate that action with a reward (treats are best to begin with, working up to maybe just a pat on the head and verbal praise) and soon the annoying behavior is gone and puppy isn’t afraid of people holding thin sticks. Animal shelters and pet supply stores offer training classes for pets and their owners and can teach people how to train their dogs.

Buena suerte amigo!

blue_dude15 2/21/2021 - 6:34 am

yeah, i know all about positive reinforcement but and so do my parents… they just refuse to listen. They actually take puppy classes and the trainer has said he doesn`t believe in hitting the dog, but they do it anyway. And they don`t listen to me either

Once 2/21/2021 - 1:07 pm

That’s sad, but believable. Some pet owners can’t be reached. At least you’re thinking about the puppy. Sorry.

User34730 2/21/2021 - 7:06 am

drop everything, go to youtube and lookup a video called “Teaching Bite Inhibition” by DogStarDaily.

Your parents are making a HUGE and unfortunately common mistake. Force them to watch the video, even just the first 60 seconds.

But I read your other thread and saw that your parents are abusive by nature so maybe they just enjoy punishing the weak and innocent. They sound like real tools

blue_dude15 2/22/2021 - 12:50 am

I will try to show them that video, I don`t know if it will work though, because as you said they are abusive. Thanks though

system 2/21/2021 - 2:25 pm

What they’re doing is absolutely not okay. If they continue to hit the dog, you can file an animal abuse claim and get them fucked over for it.

system 2/21/2021 - 2:27 pm

This behavior will make the dog aggressive and cause trauma in the future. What they’re doing is considered abuse, and using a switch to hit a dog can cause permanent scarring both mentally and physically. Seek assistance on the Humane Society website if you see it necessary.

blue_dude15 2/22/2021 - 12:52 am

Wait, I can actually report them for this? I`ll look into it

eternaldarkness 2/22/2021 - 1:34 am

uh…won’t they just take the dog away from all of you then?

blue_dude15 2/22/2021 - 2:24 am

Possibly yeah… but i don`t want the dog to suffer or anything, though I`m still not sure whether its worth it to report because its not like they full on beat him up… Besides if I did report it, my parents would probably suspect me and I wouldn`t be safe. I really don`t know what`s the right thing to do. I just don`t want anything bad to happen to the dog

system 2/22/2021 - 1:02 pm

Yes. If the dog isn’t safe it needs to be removed from the household. It will become aggressive if the abuse continues.

User34730 2/22/2021 - 1:11 pm

Unfortunately yeah, if you report them here is exactly what will happen:
1) Animal control will send a couple officers to your house. It’ll be really awkward and uncomfortable. The officers will ask questions and look for signs of physical abuse (cuts, scars, etc). If they don’t see anything they will leave.
2) If they see something that looks like abuse, they’ll take your dog. Your dog will end up at animal control and depending on how overcrowded they are, they might put your dog down. If your dog gets VERY LUCKY he’ll get adopted or taken by a no-kill rescue, but both of those outcomes are rare. In most cities, animal control ends up killing at least 50% of the animals that get surrendered or confiscated.

So you & your dog can’t count on anyone. Really the only thing you can do, if you can’t change your idiotic parents minds, is to shower the dog with love & attention and reassure him that he’s a good dog.

eternaldarkness 2/23/2021 - 12:32 am

User34730- you hit the nail on the head. But I will add- unless the abuse is obvious or pretty severe, animal control will generally not do anything.

Mf 2/21/2021 - 11:46 pm

I mean, “punishing” an animal when he does something bad is indeed a way of making him break out of that habit, but the punishment makes all the difference. Hitting him with a stick… yeah, not good. Like someone pointed out above: there’s a way of breaking bad habits out of a dog, not too different from operational conditioning and stuff like that. If they keep hitting him… yeah, he might bite back at some point.

darkwillow 2/23/2021 - 1:42 am

We have a puppy who constant bites. What we did and what you can do, is teach the dog behind their back. Use treats and teach him that to get the treat, he has to lick you. You can say “be nice” or “friends” or whatever words you want. Once the dog gets used to licking you to get the food, just use that same phrase whenever it tries to bite. They’ll lick instead.