Home General What counts as a suicide attempt?

What counts as a suicide attempt?

by blue_dude15

If I were to stand on the edge of a building, wondering whether or not to jump, would that be a suicide attempt?

Or planning to jump in front of a train and backing out at the last minute?

Idk, I’m just curious

Abnormal.Thoughts 3/30/2021 - 8:57 pm

In my opinion, it’s the intention: if you go to the top of the building planning to jump then it’s an attempt, if you are just passing and think about jumping fleetingly then I don’t think so.

blue_dude15 3/30/2021 - 9:09 pm

hmm, you’re probably right

a1957 3/30/2021 - 9:11 pm

I got this from the CDC: “A suicide attempt is when someone harms themselves with any intent to end their life, but they do not die as a result of their actions”.

However, I am inclined to go with what Abnormal.Thoughts said too.

I once set up equipment to gas myself to death. I had every intent to go through with it but several somebodies intervened. It sure felt like an attempt to me though no harm came to me.

corvidaecorpse 3/31/2021 - 7:44 am

I only count my personal experiences as an attempt if I followed thru at least partially. like when I do the planning and setup but wuss out I don’t count it, but I count the times when I ODed (twice it wasn’t enough, once caught :/ ) or when I bled out for a little b4 getting an important text and deciding to patch it up b4 my sight went too fuzzy, etc.
I hold my own stuff to a higher standard than others (if they say it was an attempt, it was), but if I counted every plan I started executing/setting up, the count wld probably be higher than the number of movies I’ve watched which like. makes it seem like a bigger deal than I’m willing to allow

a1957 4/2/2021 - 12:59 pm

I started the gas generator, once, but wimped out before I passed out. Maybe that was an attempt after all, but I just went to fresh air, no help from anybody. Well anyway I finally went to a helpful probing agreeable therapist who knew her stuff.

nobody else 3/31/2021 - 8:29 am

for the sake of semantics, an “attempt” requires action. thoughts are different than actions no matter how determined you are. otherwise I’d be serving a few life sentences for things I planned to do. in fact legally speaking theres a clear distinction between intent and commission of a crime.

but i dont think we should get caught up in semantics and labels. if you stood on top of a building thinking about jumping, the point is you are suffering from life. ive had many such moments but no attempts. doesn’t mean I suffer any less than someone who actually has the guts to do it

thedevilisclose 3/31/2021 - 9:31 am

In the case of jumping I think going there with the intention of doing it counts. It isn’t exactly like parcial where you can back out of you want. Once you’re over that ledge you better hope you don’t change your mind where as with parcial all you really have to do is stand up.

However like nobody else said, whether you jump or not you’re still in just as much emotional pain (and some times physical pain considering stress/depression can do weird stuff to your body) as the next person no matter what method they choose or even if they have one.

Robert77 3/31/2021 - 11:59 am

Back when I was younger and went through my junkie phase I heard it said that every time you stick a needle in your arm that is an attempted suicide. When I did it the first time I was suicidal anyway so there is some validity to that statement. You really don’t know whet you are getting from street drugs most of the time so its like playing Russian roulette IMHO. The irony is once you are hooked you live to use and use to live.

ObiWan 4/9/2021 - 1:12 am

I wonder this myself because I bought a shotgun who’s to say if i would have shot myself with it or not before i started being followed by Tom Cruise who took it so he could herd cattle with it later. I suppose it counts as long as it is A) Documented & B) the disturbed ones sniffing for dolla’s can use it as Blackmail on me whenever & wherever (which is like, ALWAYS) …. but who’s to say if i would had pulled the trigger, you dont know because if i was given the chance, i would had probably not pulled the trigger, but i might had ran and never come back to make a better life. Too bad, because in that case i would be in a much much better place now.

Or maybe i could also count when I swallowed 350 pills? I dont count that because i dont think i would have actually died. Do i count buying shotgun shells & trying to make a gun out of pipes? Do I count buying charcoal and a tent, to use the grill in?