Home General Any good depressing movies to watch today?

Any good depressing movies to watch today?

by eternaldarkness

Nothing christmasy or cheery.
What’s good for depressed ppl like us to watch?

I’ve been binging on a bunch of escape room movies lol

Once 12/25/2020 - 2:11 pm

If you like the superhero genre, there’s Brightburn. It’s a dark twist on Superman. I’ll probably screw up the title, but “May You be in Hell 30 Seconds before the Devil Knows You’re Dead” w/ Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Two brothers rob their own parents, and things go from bad to worse.

Or just watch the news.

Hope today is bearable for you.

Florida_baker 12/25/2020 - 2:52 pm

Stranger Than Paradise and Certain Women are both wintry and quietly paced. Blue Jasmine is a sad story.

theo 12/25/2020 - 5:45 pm

Sleeping Beauty with Emily Browning – not really “sad” but gloomy

nobody else 12/25/2020 - 6:18 pm

Angels of the Universe. Iceland’s “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”

heartlessviking 12/25/2020 - 9:29 pm

Nearly anything with John Cusack works for me, examples; “Max”, “High Fidelity”, “The Ice Harvest” (my personal favorite holiday movie), I’ll take almost anything with a decent amount of tragedy, loss of human life and at least a little terror or horror.

This year we watched “Fatman”, which I would rank as okay. Better options include the horror version of Jack Frost, and A Christmas Horror story which is a lovely anthology of holiday frights. I think Christmas is the real terrifying holiday anyway; everyone trying to keep everyone else happy? What a mess, I’m doing well if I can eat some decent food, play a few games and watch something truly inspiringly bad.

Abnormal.Thoughts 12/26/2020 - 9:29 am

Too late for the answer but it depends a lot on what type of movies you like.
Lovely Bones was haunting and sad.
Bridge to Terabithia is family friendly but everyone I know cries.
The Magicians is a sci-fi fantasy series that I found both depressing and comical.
Undone on Amazon is a different show and deals with mental illness.

What did you end up watching?

eternaldarkness 12/26/2020 - 11:44 am

oh i loved undone! i want more shows like that. her character is so real and so fucked up. and i love sci fi so it all works.

Abnormal.Thoughts 12/27/2020 - 9:53 am

Yeah, it was different so I really enjoyed it. Plus it’s fun to watch high too. XP

JudgeMeNot 12/29/2020 - 5:23 pm

“Whatever” (1999)
Its French but a real gem. You can easy find it in English subtitles.